The Informatics division is specialized in developing IT-based methods and solutions for water management and the environmental sector.
We advise on the collection and compilation of specialized geodata, and we structure and manage project data to ensure efficient access and yield informative visualizations and plans. With the help of numerical models, we calculate the entire hydrologic cycle – from the formation of runoff to flow processes in surface waters – in closed sewer systems and in groundwater bodies. With the aid of effective models, we optimize the hydraulic performance of built structures. The evaluation of transport processes, such as soil erosion or pollutant dispersal, is also one of our services.
The development and use of geographic information systems and user-specific software solutions round off our profile of specialization.
Cooperation between industry and research
We work closely together with universities and research institutions and implement the latest findings and scientific methods in our engineering practice.
- Consulting on the acquisition and management of specialized geodata
- Mobile geodata collection and cloud synchronization
- Compilation of high-resolution digital terrain models from heterogeneous sources (incl. laser scanning, UAV overflights, satellite image evaluation, terrestrial surveying, multi-beam echosounder)
- Compilation of routing systems for river kilometer marking and networks for urban water management
- Calculation of floodplain areas and damage potentials
- Determination of hazard and risk maps for natural disasters
- Site analysis and calculation of site potentials for, inter alia, wind power
- Visualization using thematic maps and web applications
- 3D graphics and computer animation.
- Geodetic spatial relationships
- Planning-phase surveys
- Construction surveys
- Monitoring surveys
- Kontrollm Industrial surveys
- Bestand Water-body surveys
- Setzung Settlement measurements
- As-built documentation
- Digital terrain models and quantity surveys
- We carry out special tasks such as terrestrial and mobile laser scanning, photogrammetry, satellite image analysis, and multibeam echo sounding surveys of water bodies in cooperation with highly competent, long-standing partners.
Our surveying team is both an internal partner and an external contractor whose services include:
- Use of precipitation-runoff models for management of water volumes and floodwaters
- Analysis of heavy precipitation events
- Integrated modeling, with consideration of river hydraulics and municipal drainage (sewer network)
- Verification of water body compatibility for stormwater discharges as per BWK-M3/M7
- Flood forecasts
- Water resources management including dam/reservoir control
- Flood protection concepts with measures for retention, change of use and remote stormwater management in urban areas
- Use of 1D, coupled 1D/2D, 2D and 3D hydrodynamic models, based on various discretization methods (FEM, FVM, FDM, etc.) for streams, lakes, and estuaries
- Detailed, model-supported study of flood spillways, fish ladders and other built structures
- Calculation of material transport and morphological processes
Our GIS-supported and largely automated generation of models makes it possible to quickly process extensive quantities of data and large catchment areas. We graphically visualize the results using thematic 3D views, site plans and computer animation.
From data acquisition and interpretation to implementation in planning, we compile and use groundwater models for hydraulic engineering, water resources management and dealing with problems of contaminated sites.
- Calculation of hydrogeological and numerical models
- Use of 2D and 3D groundwater models, based on the finite difference or finite element method
- Calculation of material and heat transport, density flow and the permeability of the unsaturated zone
Our strengths include GIS-supported calculation and interpretation of groundwater models and coupling these with hydrological or hydrodynamic models.
Software and Website Development
Our strength is the development and implementation of customized software solutions for water resources management, the environment, and disaster prevention.
- Hydrological and Hydraulic models
- GIS procedures
- Desktop and Internet-based information systems
- Flood forecasting systems and
- Database applications.
- For our products, we offer praxis-oriented training and individual support. We increasingly rely on open source software, map server technology, and content management systems.
Most notably, we develop
We support your public relations
We prepare your project for effective presentation to the media and ensure timely and clear project communication via the Internet.
- Conception, layout, and print-ready preparation of brochures, flyers, posters, PowerPoint presentations, and presentation folders
- Conception, layout, implementation, and maintenance of Internet presentations and project portals